Loss of data can have severe implications to individuals as well as businesses. Almost all or majority of the information related to business plans, data base, client list, presentations and graphics are stored in laptops. This is convenient to businesses as they can have all the information at their finger tips all the time. Unlike large business small business and SOHO users have very limited back up plan and support systems when faced with a data loss situation. Added to this is the fact that data loss can happen any time and due to many reasons. Some of the common reasons for loss of data from a laptop include
· human errors such as accidental deletion of data, partitions or drives
· reformatting of the drive, partitions
· hard drive failure
· corruption of the system files and
· virus attack
Data loss in spite of backup
In spite of having a backup you end up losing data. Though the situation is ironic, this does happen. Some of the scenarios of such data loss are formatting and reinstalling the operating system after ensuring backup or deleting information after taking backup. In such scenarios, the data loss is due to non functional backup. A backup can become dysfunctional if
· the backup gets corrupted due to virus
· the backup gets damaged due to scratches (if it is in a CD or memory stick) http://smartwebsiteideas.com/
· incorrect backup practices- pulling the cable or memory stick out before the data is completely transferred, incorrect burning to a CD etc or
· the backup is not compatible with the operating system
A dysfunctional back up due to any of these reasons means that you are left with no data. The only option that you have is to recover the lost data with the help of file recovery software. There are many data recovery software available in the market that can recover lost data. You need to select the software based on
· your data recovery requirement- types of file extensions you need to recover
· efficiency of the software in recovering lost data from formatted drives and partitions, or after reinstalling the operating system and
· features available in the software- like file scanning technologies, preview of recovered files, search options etc that can recover lost data
Recovering data is more reactive or diagnostic in nature. The ideal way to deal is to be proactive in storing data safely so that even if you lose data, the impact will be minimal. One of the best ways to go about this is by ensuring a back up strategy.
Backup strategy to deal with data loss
Using backup tool– There are many backup tools that can help you with data backup. This will ensure periodic backup of your data
Ensuring safe storage– You can either store the back up in removable storage devices like CD, memory sticks, or with companies that manage backup. There are many online storage options as well. You can explore the various options and select the one that is most appropriate.
Ensuring back up of all data– Many a times you will backup only the data you work on. Make sure that you have periodic back up of e-mail communications (especially if you use Outlook Express or Outlook), your browser, bookmarks, favorite folders, audio and video files, if it is very important to you.
Thus having a backup strategy will ensure that you have all the required information, and that too stored in an accessible manner and in a functional device that you can rely in case of data loss.